Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Things I have loved and lost

In my life there have been many loves; pizza, baklava, doughnuts, Twinkies, and dumplings just to  name a few.  The day that I found out I have Celiac Spur was the day I parted ways with some of my most beloved.

I was out a few nights ago at our local Kelly's and I could smell Joe's pizza in the back taunting me with all his cheese.  I was with a few others who had hear its calling.  So I encouraged them to get some pizza, and I picked the toppings off.  I have not been brave enough to go to a gluten free pizza shop, yet.

So, I'm working part time some odd hours, 3 pm to 11 pm.  Last night I realized I needed to pick up some groceries.  So at midnight I found myself at Sunfresh, which I ran into some booze smelling friends out for some homemade munchies.  When I was unloading my few bags I thought back to my love, pizza.  We had fond memories together, Pizza was there for me during college and had also attended most of my social events growing up. 

I remembered that I had gone on a gluten free shopping spree just a few days after I was diagnosed (more dangerous to your pocket book then being let loose in the coach outlet store).  I had picked up a dough mix.  That all brought me to the realization I had all the makings for a pizza!

So I got chebes dough mix out and gave her a whirl.  I followed the directions closely, because this was uncharted territory.  They have you mix things in a tablespoon at a time.  So two tablespoons of oil, four of milk and two eggs later I had what almost looked like normal dough.  I did have to work with it a bit.  As you can see some the picture it was rather lumpy. 

Sorry it's sideways, my tech person was out this morning and couldn't fix it...

I used this arrowroot flour to knead the dough with.  The directions didn't say to, but I don't know who they thought could knead all those lumps.  Side note, I do not own a rolling pen and after further investigation, I'm not sure where I would put one.  In later entries I may take pictures of my sheik galley kitchen (aka no space kitchen).

I used toppings I already had (recognize the spinach I ranted about before)!  So it ended up being just a tomato, cheese and spinach pizza.  It baked pretty well in the oven with the usual suspects of problems in cooking dough involve, getting it cooked in the middle.


So this is what it looks like after!  I only used a portion of the dough I made up and froze the rest for a later enjoyment.  This is about one third of the dough from the package.


I forgot to show you a picture of the package in case you are looking for it in stores!  This is what it looks like. 
One thing I was a little disappointed with was the rate at which the dough rose.  I'm a big believer that crust is just a vehicle to get toppings in your mouth.  This seemed more bread like.  Although it was absolutely wonderful.  It's not all about what you loved and lost, but what great things that will come along and make you feel good while you enjoy its company.

No comments: