Monday, August 22, 2011

Well Hello Again

So it's been over a year since I was diagnosed with Celiac's Disease.  It was truly a life marker, before the diagnosis, and after.  I can't begin to tell you the changes I have experienced.

I went through a period of time where I was sick of the words "gluten free".  It's like the new car effect.  Your best friend buys a black Mazda 3 and now everyone is driving one.  Part of it is my helpful friends and family that point out different products that they have seen.  I even have a mysterious elf who slides gluten free wrappers under my office door.  Several eye rolls later, I'm appreciative of who I am. 

What sparked me to write today was a recent visit I made down south.  For those close to me, you know that down south refers to my extended family.  My grandparents, aunt, uncle and lots of cousins live outside of Lebannon, Missouri.  We're talking 26 miles round trip to the nearest Walmart Super Center.  Life slows down when you're there and you really appreciate what and who you have around you.

Breakfast has always been hearty with Biscuits and Gravy, Bacon, Toast, Eggs, Jellies, Coffee, Fried Potatoes.  Holy heat attack.  I have greatly missed biscuits and gravy, until this weekend.   http://www.agvantage-naturals.com/
On the package :  Master BlendOur ultimate Multi-Purpose baking mix. Use for cakes, pies, cookies, and more. This is a buttermilk biscuit recipe.


Made from a nutritious blend of rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, quinoa flour, and guar gum.


I met this couple about 10 months ago at the national CSA conference which luckily for me was in Kansas City in 2010.  For those who have not gone it's like a smorgasbord...especially for those who are used to say "no thank you".  They were giving out free samples and I took enough flour home to make biscuits. 

They did not fall apart!  It made wonderful gravy and not one of my family members thought it tasted strange.

By the way anyone remember those plates?  Oh the nostalgia of seeing my grandparents, it's nice to know that the more things change, the more you can count on my grandparents to be the same.  Which leads me to my next point...
Wrangler

Yeah, that's right.  I now own Wranglers.  It was really only a matter of time.  At the ripe age of 28 I've finally stopped caring what other people think of the label on my butt.  I rock those jeans.  It makes me smile because as much as I love the city, I remember where my roots are.

No comments: