Sunday, November 28, 2010

The glue that binds us together

February 26th, 2010 I made a big decision.  It was kind of a no brainer as I look back, but nonetheless, life changing.  I made me appreciate the relationships I had more so than I ever had before.  And it is important to note that I did what was not expected of me.  Uncharacteristic for someone who has lived a life so well planned. 

As we celebrate Thanksgiving it has made me ponder the meaning of this word.  It is a verb.  It is an event.  It is just not a day marked on a calendar.  As I celebrated in a small, somewhat uneventful way with my family, I noticed how truly blessed I have become.  A new career, a new home, loving family, supporting friends what more could a girl ask for.  My day has changed from the moment I awake, not dreading the day to the food I choose to put in my body.  It has made me take this word of Thanks and put it into every part of my life. 

I have lost the blogging bug for a bit as I moved into these new transitional roles.  However, I still realized that the message is important.  Life is a verb. 

Thanksgiving as a verb rather than a meal.  This has made the gluten free Thanksgiving transition feel seamless.  No pie, no stuffing, no dinner rolls but it's been okay.  My parents have been great.  And though my pants size has grown, I don't necessarily blame my mother. 

Experimenting with differently flours has me back to the same conclusion that, yes gluten- is the glue in breads and rolls and the like, most others the texture is just off.   And I have indulged in the pre-packaged goods of gluten free.  And I will go ahead and just say it in print, it is not great.  It's a good substitution in desperation but it's just not the real thing.  Things that are  naturally delicious and gluten free I am in favor of and loving them more. 
 This is what I spent my money on to try to substitute wonderful dinner rolls.  They're okay.  Maybe not worth $6.00.  You bake them for about ten minutes and then come out just as dry as they went into the oven.  They're okay smothered in butter- but for sure I couldn't stomach the whole thing. 

More to come...

No comments: